Sunday, May 25, 2014

Star Trek: Into Darkness

Star Trek: Into Darkness. Came out last year. Sequel to Star Trek, one of the best reboots I've seen. Some might disagree with me, but this is my website and my weekly column, so I get to say what I want. I remember seeing the poster to the left and thinking that this movie was gonna rock, and I was not disappointed.
It takes place sometime after the events of Star Trek, the movie that came out four years prior to this one. And the first thing I need to address is that the music is AMAZING. Every piece of it fits in with the events of the film and everything is placed perfectly. I especially like the new Star Trek theme song they created for the new series. For me, it immediately invokes the thought of these particular adventurers, like the theme songs of The Original Series, or The Next Generation do.
Second is that Benedict Cumberbatch does a great job as John Harrison, and while everybody else certainly does a good job as well, I'd like to specifically praise Zachery Quinto for capturing Spock quite amazingly. He really does know how to act. I don't want to spoil the movie for those who haven't seen it, so suffice to say that there's a scene where Spock goes absolutely nuts and Quinto managed to convey that shift in emotions perfectly.
Moving on to the story. Really, there's not much I can talk about without giving everything away, so I'm going to say that everything, even the things that seem to just fill space somehow manage to work in a way that gives it a certain feel to it that evokes everything I like about Star Trek.
What is it about this movie that I like so much?... Well the action is gripping, the drama is entertaining, and the special effects are some of the best I've seen. It seems like these days it takes some major effort to make CGI look anything less than phenomenal. The space battles look awesome to say the least, and while it is extremely focused on the crew and the planetary battles, it makes the space battles all the sweeter in that they're not over-used.
J. J. Abrams has proved that lightening can and does strike twice. I really liked everything about this movie, and while I'm not a hard-core Star Trek fan, I really want to see where they go with it from here. To the final frontier and beyond, these are the voyages of the good ship Star Trek, to boldly go where nobody dares to, to re-tell that which we know in a new and entertaining way. All in all, it's a 10.07* movie, and I highly recommend it.
Something I forgot to add was that I love how the plot twists and turns in unexpected ways, and I don't appreciate how the DVD cover gives away one of the major twists (Although given that I never read the boxes of movies and games for just that reason I didn't know that until the end of the movie). Might wanna get around to fixing that one, Paramount.
Check out my review of the first movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate