Sunday, January 11, 2015

Top six best games of 2014

So, 2014 has come to a close, and this is the time when everyone's posting their games of the year up.
This year as the last, I haven't played many new games, but it's actually wound up being a better turnout than last year, because I don't have to put games I've only played the demos of on here just to pad the list.
And aside from two of the games on the list, I have actually finished all of these.

#6: Mighty Gunvolt

This game isn't one of my favorites, but I figured it needed to be on the list anyways. Despite the amount of difficulty I had with Mighty Gunvolt, I did keep playing it a while after I finished Azure Striker: Gunvolt. It's pretty fun, but I wasn't able to spend enough time with it for it to rank higher. It's fun, but I didn't have as much fun with it as I did the other five choices. In other words, it's pretty good, but not as good as....

#5: Super Smash Bros for Wii U

This might seem like cheating for a game that I've only played a few hours of, but I had fun with it. And it's a really good fighting game. I don't necessarily like it as much as I did Brawl, but it's a great party game, what with the eight-player multiplayer. When you're passing time on Black Friday waiting for the giveaways at the local gaming shop to end, there's no better way to pass the time than a few sixteen-player Smash battles.
And I loved playing with the Wii U Gamepad. The problem is that I wasn't able to stick with it as long as....

#4: Chronicles of a Dark Lord: Episode II: War of the Abyss

I was going to place this game a little lower on the list at first, but then I finished it, and realized that it needed to be a lot higher.
Yes, I gave this game some crap, but it's still one of the best games of the year. Its placement on the list might be a bit controversial, especially considering the price it shares with the #2 on the list, but by no means does that mean this is a bad game. I did have quite a bit of fun with it, and it is quite a good game. The problem was that the pacing got pile-driven into the ground at the beginning, and I was never really able to get over that.
I deliberated over this next choice, about whether to place it above or below Smash U. In the end, it's obvious what I chose. I had a great time doing all the voices in my playthrough, and despite my problems with the story, it still is pretty cool.
But I couldn't bring myself to place it above....

#3: Alien Isolation

Surprise surprise, this game rocks. Alien: Isolation has gone a long way to reviving the Alien license, and reinvigorating peoples faith in SEGA (To some extent). Without a doubt, it's going to be the defining survival-horror game of the next decade. And I had a great time with it.
Deciding what order to put the top-three in when I was drawing up the list was a hard choice. The bottom three were a little easier, but after a while, it became a pretty tough choice, picking where to put War of the Abyss. In the end, this list took quite a bit of thought on my part. I added a sixth spot to the list just because I figured Mighty Gunvolt needed to be mention.
I pondered and pondered about how to place these top three. Alien Isolation was amazing, but the story didn't quite compare to....

#2: Azure Striker: Gunvolt

I had a third part of my ASG review planned, but I didn't have the time last year to get it recorded. I'll try to get it out this year, because it deserves that third review.
Out of all of the games I've played this year, the melancholy of the story has stuck with me since I finished it.
The soundtrack is a masterwork of composition, the gameplay is awesome, and the story...
The story is brutal.
Unfortunately, it is kind of short. It does reward repeat playthroughs, and I did enjoy every minute I spent with the game, but it still didn't have as much game for the money as....


#1: Chronicles of a Dark Lord: Episode I: Tides of Fate

While the version of Tides of Fate I played originally debuted in 2012, the game was released on Steam and Aldorlea in 2014. So I'm going to count it as such.
Tides of Fate is a great game, it's got a great story, it's brutal as all hell, it's epic as Lord of the Rings and it's as insane as a campaign of Dungeons and Dragons can be. It's one of the best games I've ever played. And it deserves this award. Best game of 2014 my friends.
So, it took me a while to get this out, but I wasn't quite done writing it. It took me until the fifth to finish Episode II, and I didn't want to put this out until after I had the game finished, because I might have reconsidered my placement, and in the end, I did.
I'll see you next week with the movie adaptation of The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate