Sunday, February 1, 2015

2012

I remember the marketing for this movie. I remember the backlash for this movie. I remember thinking how stupid it was that people thought that the world was going to end in 2012. Considering we're in 2015, and that I saw this movie in 2014, I'm pretty sure we're past that being a possibility.
2012 is a sci-fi disaster film from 2009, paradoxically. It's about the end of the world, as the marketing and the poster to the left would imply.
To be honest, I didn't think it was that bad. At the time I'd seen it, I'd just seen Batman Forever, and comparing the two, I'd rather watch this one.
Granted, there are other movies I'd prefer to see.
So, as a nerd myself, I might as well point out that a lot of the supposed "Science" in this movie is the reason this is called a "Science-fiction" movie.
So, the movie is pretty long, clocking almost three hours. If you watch all of the deleted scenes (Which I did) it becomes just slightly longer than that.
And despite numerous attempts, it didn't provoke much emotional reaction from me. I don't think the movie is all that great, but I also don't think it's terrible. Granted, watching the extended ending on the DVD made me like the movie a little more, so I can see not liking it as much if you saw it in the theater.
I'm just gonna put this out there, and say that there are too many characters in this movie. The biggest problem is that A) It's got too much happening, and B) it's flat boring at times. And finally, it's just a weak concept. The world didn't end in 2012.
And anyone with a PC these days could find out that most (if not all) of the scientific, historical, and mythological references this movie makes are wrong.
It's like trying to read Dan Brown's Digital Fortress when you know anything about linguistics and computer technology.
The funny thing is, I didn't even know Roland Emmerich directed this when I watched it.
Emmerich has made two films that I really like, Stargate and Independence Day.
This ain't no ID4, my friends.
Look, nobody really liked this movie. I didn't even like this movie. I thought it was a waste of time. I'd rather have watched something else.
The plot is atrocious. It strays beyond willing suspension of disbelief for me.
The characters are fine I suppose, but there's nothing that makes them stand-out.
The acting is decent to a certain extent, but there's too much going on for any of it to really matter.
Honestly, the movie only really hits its stride later on, where the actual action is going on. The rest of the movie is just kinda boring.
I know some movies skip too much buildup to the action, but 2012 isn't very well paced. It's a decent concept on paper, but Emmerich has already made a better movie than this that does essentially the same thing, but is easier to watch. It's called Independence Day.
Which brings me to a criticism I have, it seems like they just took Independence Day and re-wrote it a little bit. If you've seen ID4, you don't need to see this. Unless you really want to for some reason.
Hell, the only reason I watched it was because it was on my list of high-profile movies from the last few years that I hadn't seen that I felt like reviewing, and I'm kind of sorry I watched it.
The movie doesn't give you anything to think about, and it just takes away about three-hours of your time.
It's one of those movies where it's best to turn your brain off and don't think about some of the more questionable parts, like whenever the characters start talking science and history.
To be honest, this movie sin't worth your time. It's not worth my time to write any more about this either. I feel depressed just talking about it.
In the end, I give it a 2.01* rating, I'll see you next week with The Three Musketeers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate