Sunday, June 23, 2013

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, the package as a whole.

I once swore that I would never buy any HD ports, but the local junk store had this cheap, so there's no way I would pass it up. Even though I already started on Snake Eater and finished Sons of Liberty, there's still Peace Walker and Metal Gear 1 and 2 to consider (Plus I can replay MGS2). I'm not reviewing any of the games specifically, just the Xbox 360 version of the MGS HD Collection.
Now my first complaint is that Metal Gear Solid isn't included. Sure the models look a little blocky compared to modern standards, but with 1080p textures, some anti-aliasing and other graphical enhancements it'd look pretty good. My second is that rather than having Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake on the games selection menu you have to go into MGS3 and select them. I honestly don't know why that is. Another criticism is that in MGS2 the textures look pretty much the same, aside from a few bits and pieces here and there it looks pretty much the same as the PS2 version, except the GUI has sharper lines and the colors sometimes look clearer. Other than that it's pretty much a straight port for MGS2, right down to collision problems with Snake's body and his bandanna. I've started playing (Don't worry, I'm also recording it) Metal Gear Solid 2, and the lip-sync issues from Substance bleed over into this to a more prominent extent. Also for some reason the right analog-stick controls how much liquid-nitrogen you spray, instead of you just pressing the X button like with all other things in the "weapons" category. I know this is to compensate for the lack of analog-buttons, but I played through Metal Gear Solid 2 with a DualShock 1 controller, same controller I used for MGS and I never felt like there was anything wrong. Plus, why would you want to control how much nitrogen you spray? You've got an unlimited amount! Another thing is they removed the "Snake Skateboarding" and The Document of Metal Gear Solid 2 wasn't, to my knowledge included on the first disc, nor would it seem a lot of extras that came with Metal Gear Solid 3 (Considering it DID come on three discs). All in all this is a good collection, and it's well worth the fifteen bucks I paid for it. By the way, I'm sorry for the lack of posts as scheduled, I've been busy lately.
OOOOOOPS, I forgot that Portable Ops wasn't included. Considering that it came on two DVD-DLs why couldn't they have fit Portable Ops onto Disc 2 with Peace Walker or else just give it its own disc? Why wasn't it included? Because of that I'm going to have to get a PSP just to play it, and although there is a lot of good stuff on the PSP I want to play I really don't wanna deal with another console, I've already got too many wires around my room, plus I'd have to get a TV-out cable for it so I could record gameplay decently and I don't really want to deal with that. Hopefully Konami'll take a hint and port Portable Ops someday to something other than a portable console.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate