Tuesday, November 6, 2012

PlayStation 2 discontinued.

According to http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm Sony announced VIA Twitter that they were discontinuing the PlayStation 2.

"Sony posted a note in Twitter, stating that the production of PlayStation 2 console has come to an end and they no longer produce new units. The PS2 was released on March 4, 2000 in Japan, and over 154 million units were sold worldwide."


Wonderful, Sony kept the PS1 going for over a decade even DURING the PS2's lifetime (I think Square Enix still sells Chrono Cross discs) then they released the PS3, I have a feeling there's a trend here, Sony's about to release a new console and drag the PS3 out for over a decade. Seeing as Sony ground SEGA into the dirt with the PS2 I can't say I'm entirely disappointed, although I'd be lying if I said I'd never touch the hardware since I play on my PS2 quite regularly. Anyways, I have to wonder how many cross-platform releases will still be published on the PS2 since the console has been discontinued. The PS2 had a good run, twelve years and still getting some decent games on it. The PlayStation 1 lasted I think fifteen years and who knows how long the PS3 will last.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate