Saturday, February 2, 2013

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

I've been trying to get Super Smash Bros. Brawl to play for the channel for a while now. The library system near me at one time had over twenty copies in circulation, but they've all been stolen over the last few years, so I was about to give up on getting it to play.
Later that week, just a few days ago, my mother asked me to fix someones computer after a bit of tinkering I asked what the box lying next to his computer was, it was something called Fix-It Utilities by Avanquest. It wasn't working properly, and it was interfering with the actual fixing of the computer. I uninstalled it, then re-installed it, thinking that maybe it would work right that way, but it was stuck in a feedback loop. Thanks to that, I had to restart the computer twice. I went into add-remove programs and erased the program, then decided to clean up the hard drive some more by removing a bunch of un-used stuff.
After doing the math, I found that most of the clogging on the drive couldn't be installed programs from the previous owner (20GB HDD, the entire Add/remove list amounted to less than a gigabyte), so I ran the defragger and all the clogging was fragmented files. I ran the defragger five times and only freed up a few megabytes, gaining little ground.
Since he had all the discs that came with the computer (The previous owner included them with the PC) I decided to do a fresh install of Windows XP. After formatting the drive and letting the installer run, it was almost time for lunch, so taking a break, my mother and I decided to go to Taco Bell for a quick bite and stop at one of the thrift-shops to see what they had while the installer took its time (45 minutes were left when we left) My moms friend suggested that we return the faulty anti-virus/fixit program and get the money from that as payment. After eating lunch and perusing the PS2 games at the thrift-store we headed to Wal-Mart to return the program.
After Customer Service informed me that they would not refund, only exchange the program. I then went back and got an identical one, figuring that I could just return it for the $27 dollars, but they would have opened it to prevent that very action (and they required someone with an ID to do anything) so after arguing that the software didn't work and we didn't want to get another probably just as broken piece of software, the manager said to go get something that will work with the computer.
Thing is, she didn't specify WHAT it would have to be, so I grabbed an Xbox 360 controller off the shelf and brought it back. Then ANOTHER manager asked if she needed to call the police because apparently trying to return broken software is illegal in the state of Mississippi.
The first manager lied to our faces, saying she specified it had to be software when all she said was "get something that will work with your computer". After verifying that it could be any software, I went BACK to the electronics department for a THIRD time (It's all the way on the other end of the store from where the returns desk is) and picked out a Wii game, Super Smash Bros Brawl.
After I came back my mother told me that the clerk had told her that I was swearing at them.
Wanna know what I said?
Damn, under my breath, not even FACING anyone, for all they knew I could have been sighing, and the clerk acted like I was yelling at them at the top of my lungs, sifting through the book of words you can't say on TV, when I never even raised my voice.
They exchanged it and we walked out, feeling disgruntled and tired, then we went back and had to deal with Microsoft customer service, but that's another story.
On the plus side I've got Super Smash Bros. Brawl and I'll be playing it for the channel soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate