Thursday, March 7, 2013

Mutant Mudds

So, after playing a lot of Mutant Mudds I can safely say that it's extremely hard. It's enjoyable, and a fun little platformer, but you'll be mad at it when you play it. I like it, it's a great game and for $8.99on the 3DS I'd say it's worth it to pick it up. If you liked Cave Story (which I do) you'll like this.
HOLY CRAP, this thing has SIXTY levels to it.... I'm nowhere NEAR done with it. Well that makes it even more worth it, your time'll be spent on trying to survive until the end, and then unlocking the next levels by taking all the diamonds in the stage. One criticism I have is that there's no check-points in the level, so you go back to the beginning if you lose all three hearts, which is frustrating if you right at the end and get hit. Another is that you can only have one power-up at a time, I got to a point where I had a ranged bubble-gun and could shoot further and rapidly, and I could unlock an extended-hover Jet-Pack, but it was one or the other, when both would have been best. That aside it's challenging and makes you think. The plot is nothing special, alien mud invades the planet and you have to take care of it with your bubble-gun. The level-design can get confusing at times, and occasionally I thought that the levels were designed to have as few obvious solutions to passing them as possible, but that makes it even more satisfying when you actually beat the level. Now, the manual is of no help, it doesn't tell you any more than the in-game tutorial does, except that sometime later in the game you might have a jump-boost by pressing down and jump.
The main part of the game is perspective and timing puzzles, some of the timing puzzles are hard to master, but it's still a good game.
Anyways, with a sequel coming out sometime next year, and twenty of the PC levels imported to the 3DS version for free I'd say that Mutant Mudds is a game worth getting. It's hard, but it's fun. I'll get back when I've finished the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate